Saturday, May 23, 2009

Internet is my "Soma"

"Soma" aka. The Happy Drug. Some may not know what it is I am talking about. The term "soma" can be understood if you are in the specific discourse of 1980: PRWR. I don't want people who don't understand this term to feel left out because I am using jargon, so I will further explain what "soma" is.

"Soma" is a term that Aldous Huxley came up with. Who is Huxley you ask? He's the author of "Brave New World." The story takes place in a dystopian world where everything seems perfect. Yes, everything seems "perfect" and you might say this is a utopia. People are born and conditioned to love what they have in this novel. Wouldn't that be nice? To love the things we have rather than the things we want. If I was in this book I would love my height of 5"2, but I am not so I hate my height. So in this book, people are programmed and if they have the slightest worry, suspicion of the higher authority, they take "soma." "Soma" takes care of any worry, insecurity, stress, suspicion etc. hence, it is called "the happy drug" because it makes you happy. It doesn’t take care of the problem, worry, stress but rather numbs it. I think the equivalent of “soma” in today’s society is weed, crack, and all those illegal drugs.

But my “soma” isn’t cocaine or weed. It’s the internet and sometimes the T.V. I am in my exam season here at York University, and we all know how stressful this is. Especially, in the first year. So, I numb myself by going on the internet. Here, I don't question anyone, I watch videos on YouTube, do quizzes that seems to determine who I am on facebook, looking up the latest celeb gossip on Perez etc. And I can say this for most people now, because statistics shows that there are more people using the internet now than ever.

I mean think about it. If you are stressed, worried, anxious, and have no access to the next door drug dealer, you’re mostly likely looking up drama or some show on YouTube. Or turn on the T.V and go on a marathon watching Star Trek. And I was sitting here, thinking... “What is wrong with me?” I’ve been sitting in front of the computer the whole day doing absolutely nothing productive AND IT’S EXAM SEASON!!

But why does technology and media seem to numb me more than other things? I mean, I paint and draw (I guess if I’m stressed, the painting won’t turn out as well). But there are other things I can do right? I think the fact that sitting in front of the computer and T.V requires less energy than picking up a paint brush, or running around trying to do head spins. Then there is also the psychological element to media. I watch these shows, movies, dramas to take my mind of things because they have elements of fantasy. As I watch these shows, dramas...I wish I was living in their world and experience what the characters are experiencing (Imagine having a lightsaber fighting with Darth Vader, wouldn’t that be awesome?) It’s like I am in another universe that everything else didn’t matter. But see, that just numbs me for the time being, and once it’s over the reality kicks in that I still have to study for the exams that won’t magically disappear.

And so I leave you with this question, “What is your ‘soma’? What keeps you ‘numb’ when in time of stress, insecurity, self-doubt etc?”

2 comments:

  1. Television is definitely my soma as well. No matter how much stress I am under, TV always provides a temporary escape from that pressure, which I highly value and probably need to stay sane. Videogames do the same for me, but they require a greater time investment. I think all of us need soma at some point to get us through our rough patches and I am glad mine is TV instead of something more detrimental like hard drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur, the air is Annie's soma.

    ReplyDelete